ROOTCON, the annual hacker conference and Information Security gathering in the Philippines is back again for action with its theme “Cyber Espionage“. It aims to share best practices and technologies through talks by qualified speakers and demos of exciting stuff (hacks, tools, tips, etc). Learn about solutions, products, techniques and critical tips to build and enhance your security practices & policies from awesome speakers and action-packed activities. It will be held on September 7-8, 2012 at Cebu Parklane Hotel, Cebu City, Philippines.
ROOTCON comes from the two words “ROOT” (super user on Unix systems) and “CON” (conference). ROOTCON operation started 27-December-2008, registered as DEFCON Group 6332, and carried the name DEFCONPH. The group held two small gatherings under DEFCONPH – known as the BeerTalks.
After the two consecutive gatherings, DEFCON brought up their copyright protection concerns, having observed that the Philippine Hacker and InfoSec group was carrying a name very similar to theirs.
DEFCONPH was then renamed PinoyGreyHat, under which one conference was held before the founder finally decided to rebrand to a more neutral and conference-friendly name: ROOTCON. The name was officially changed on 09-August-2010.
With the same crew and team on board, ROOTCON is still the premier hacking conference in the Philippines.
And because ROOTCON is a hacker conference, there are lots of cool stuff in store for this year’s con; the pre-con event H4x0r BBQ (on September 6, 2012), the WiFi ShootOut, Hacker Jeopardy, Hackista Challenge (CTF), WiFi Warrior, Talks, and many more to mention.
Pre-Final Tracks / Topics:
1. AdverGaming The System by Chris “PaperGhost” Boyd
2. Keynote ++ Cyber Espionage – How to sell a country by Morris Fedeli
3. Crypto and PKI – Weapons For Mass Liberation by Lawrence Hughes
4. Espionage in Cybertopia: A Government’s Tale by Sven “Zedian” Herpig
5. A Brief View In Prioritizing Website Security + Demo by Nitrob
6. Introduction to Web Dojo and Backdoor Shells + Demo by shipcode (me: Jay Turla)
7. Mac Binary Analysis: A Sn3ak Peak by Christopher Daniel So
8. SOUL System by Joshua Lat
9. Surviving at ROOTCON (ROOTCON 101) by Encrypted
10. Randomized/Obfuscated Text Detection by Reginald Wong
11. Virtualization, A New Risk by Tikbalang
12. Vulnerability assessment of commonly available personal safety boxes in the Philippines + Demo by Jolly Mongrel
So what are you waiting for? Register now!